Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I'm the Nutrition Nerd!

Hello and welcome to my blog! I hope you are having a wonderful day :)

I am a Registered Dietician student (with a Master of Public Health in Preventive Nutrition) who loves nutrition and wants to share it with the world. This is what I call the "Nutrition Nerd" brand. We all hear about:
protein
fiber
carbohydrates
and
fat

in the daily media and from health experts. This is often only part of the story, called macronutrition (or large, easily identifiable parts of food).


But ...
What do these mean?

Why are they important?


The answer lies in micronutrition. Micronutrition is the study of the much smaller particles in our food that affect our body's normal and healthy functioning. Some examples are vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals.


I hope you learn as I learn and enjoy doing it. I will update this each week with a new micronutrition topic. I eventually hope to update once per day with the latest news and information. In each post, you will see:

  • a topic or molecule (e.g., fatigue or vitamin C)
  • what the experts say (Registered Dieticians, Nutrition researchers, Public Health experts)
  • what this means for the average person (How it affects YOU)
and

  • what you can do in order to improve your nutrition and health in this area (Do something good for yourself!)

I hope to see you here again! My first post will be sometime in June.

- The Nutrition Nerd


Nutrition Nerd

P.S. You can also find me on Facebook as Nutrition Nerd or Twitter at hashtrend #NutritionNerd, or under the handle: NutriNerd

2 comments:

  1. What do you mean by "average" person?

    just kidding, this looks great...keep it up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenn,

    great info and cool looking blog. I got here through your twitter account. we'll stay in touch.

    keep up the great work in helping people become conscious of their eating choices.

    ReplyDelete