Friday, February 25, 2011

Guest Post - Nutrition Round Up: The Healthy-on-a-Budget Edition

Factual Fridays Guest Post on Healthy Men Today

Everyone can eat healthy on a budget. Don’t believe me? Here are tips and tricks from some of the best.


An Oxymoron or The Way of the Future? Food Stamps and Organic Foods

I was inspired this week by Jenni Grayson’s incredible article of practical tips for eating organic on food stamps in the Huffington Post. It is one of my favorite articles ever written on the subject of healthy eating on a budget. Food stamps – called SNAP nationally and CalFresh in California – has become a reality for more people as times get financially more difficult across the country. While programs like FSNEP publish healthy eating education materials on a regular basis, Jenni’s tips reign supreme for me. I highly recommend that you click through each of the links she includes. Each and every one is unique, useful, and a money saver! Here’s a rundown with a few of my own links:

Jenni will be putting her tips to the test and writing a follow-up column. I hope you’ll stay tuned with me for an update! (And, no, I don’t just love her because she has the best name ever ;)

Still Need More Tips? 30 Ways in 30 Days

Imagine how much of an improvement you can make in your food budget with just a few of these 30 tips from the CDC. Just in time for March’s National Nutrition Month)! I’ve highlighted a few of my favorites:

Do you think you can eat healthier on a budget? If not, what do you think stands in your way? If so, what are your favorite tips?

Jenn Jackson, MPH
The Nutrition Nerd

No comments:

Post a Comment